Saturday 25 June 2016

My cousin Ali

Shank, Daniel, myself, Diana, Ali


My cousin Ali is one of the kindest and most caring people I know. He doesn't feature in many of the photographs, because he spent much of the day making sure everything was running just fine. That was quite a feat, especially considering he had just come in the morning of the wedding.

I'm sure his duties and sacrifices are more numerous than were tasked to him - together with Liyana, he helped with the table arrangements and the flowers, including the decision to move our apero into the castle instead of out on the lawn (we were told there was a 15 to 75% chance of rain - a really difficult range to base a decision on). He thoughtfully bought me lunch even though I didn't ask for it, and spent the majority of the ceremony sitting on a stone step at the back of the venue, independently running the AV equipment. 

What I like most about Ali is how warm and real he is. He has a good heart, and a high sense of moral integrity, which both impresses me, and inspires me. Even though he practices kindness, he is also courageous, and perseveres in standing up for his beliefs. Our families have always lived in different countries, but when we were younger we used to visit each other a lot more than we can now. Still, it always feels cosy catching up, and I am very grateful to have such a loving cousin in my life, and that he was a part of a very special moment, in his characteristically self-sacrificial style .




No comments:

Post a Comment